Saturday, November 20, 2010

Lowcountry VII: The Treachery of Imhotep of Djoser

Part VII:

19 July 1973


Kharis will say he freed me from my tomb forty years ago. He'll tell you he liberated me from my prison there and enlisted me in a noble fight against an evil enemy. I seem to be the only one in this paltry organisation however, to understand that we are all breaking our curses to roam around outside playing shoot up with these undead whose moral allegiance should not concern us. We have no part vanquishing evil or good, we are only supposed to guard the tombs of the Pharaohs we sinned against. At this moment, however, what Kharis says is the only law we may accept.

I was the world's first doctor, architect and engineer. I am called Chancellor of the King of Egypt, Doctor, First in line after the King of Upper Egypt, Administrator of the Great Palace, Hereditary nobleman, High Priest of Heliopolis, Builder, Chief Carpenter, Chief Sculptor, and Maker of Vases in Chief. People stopped using that title after the first day because it was too long to say. I told them to make the time. They wouldn't listen. Later generations praised my name and held me among the immortals. Was it wrong that I considered myself one? I earned my praise. Somehow Kharis has put me on the low end of his Court, though I have outlived him by 1500 years. I predict his ignorance shall undue him someday.

Kharis had this weird obsession with trivial parts of our culture. He placed high esteem on Tutankhamun Hekaiunushema, mostly out his legendary Cursing ability and believed he could use his power to wiggle around his own doom. What Kharis doesn't understand is that he is bound to his fate to Ananka and only the willing and genuine forgiveness of a Priest may let him off. He has also confided with Nesmayun some other curse that I am not aware of.

As soon as Kharis discovered that Tutankhamun would tour Europe, he knew he had to get on board. He sent Prem, this murderous, mindless servant to the Soviet Union two months ago to sneak on board and learn what he could, disguised as part of the exhibit. Leaving a trail of bodies in his wake, Prem has sent us word that he made it on board and is now following the Caravan around Europe. He is communicating with Kharis through locusts, vile insects.

28 November 1978

Prem has stayed with Tutankhamen throughout Europe and America. Finally Kharis has instructed him to spill a large amount of Tana Leaves in Northern Idaho. It bids us to travel there. I cornered Nesyamun to find out why.

"You understand the evil of the Frankensteins?" He blithely began.

"They are not foe. We have conflict with them but that does not make them foe. Why suddenly this journey, what does Kharis want in Idaho that we cannot obtain here?" Nesyamun looked away. I gripped him against the corridor. "Lest I remind you of my own power, my Curse's strength is only behind Kharis himself for I sinned greatly and with great avarice. Tell me!" Nesyamun whimpered and relented.

"Kharis is bound to spill the remaining blood of the Family Schnelppvort. He failed to destroy he who entered Ananka's tomb."

"Why are the Frankensteins involved?" I gripped his neck with my Ankh Staff. Life was the only threat I could give him now.

"The murderer of he who entered his tomb was a Frankenstein! The same who I let go in Leeds many ages ago."

"You started this feud, Nesyamun? Your pride has cost many lives." I let him go and he scoffed.

"I know this, Imhotep. The time for my retribution will follow. For now, as Kharis is our King we obey his will."

"He is no King."

04 April 1980

We have made it to Smelterville, Idaho. Prem spilled the leaves near a cave up the road and through the mountains. The rain is cold here and the trees boast a coat of green throughout branches that cover their entire stems. Strange foliage here be. Kharis has finally divulged his full plan here, somehow I doubt that Nesyaum and I were the only ones to know of his Curse prior. The Frankenstein has informed him that Schnelppvort will be here. It is time to search the homes and hills.

We discovered a Schnelppvort a few weeks later. Nefrina, a comparatively young girl we enrolled in the local High School to snoop out leads found him through volunteering at some charity. He was in a home the mortals use to keep those who are about to pass on.

Kharis, Nesyamun and I entered his room. He was very old, white hair, wrinkly skin almost looked like our own. He was attached to a machine that could give him air to breathe. I had forgotten how vulnerable mortals were. Kharis leaned in to him.

"Norman Schnelppvort. Do you remember who I am?" His gray eyes fixed themselves on Kharis.

"I...I believe so. I thought you were a dream. A terrible nightmare I had a lifetime ago."

"You old bastard. Do you know that was 85 years ago? you were just a child. So close to Asar's Grasp but to succumb to me."

"You're...you're going to kill an old man? Why would you do that?"

"He has a right to know why this doom is met, Kharis," I said. With indignant patience Kharis drew close to Norman's face.

"You are the last part of a Curse I lay on your father. When I claim your soul, your bloodline will end and after 85 years of waiting I may return to Ananka." The old man sighed and wheeled his chair to this machine that was connected to his oxygen tank. His hand trembled as he reached for a cord attached to wall.

"That...is a very cute story, creature," He let out a deep breath. "But you shall not claim me today. Not till my son is dead will your Curse be lifted," Norman stared directly at Kharis. "And tho I cannot kill such a monster...he will find a way. Good bye." Norman pulled the cord and slumped over as his machine turned off. Kharis panicked.

Some other mortals wearing white robes rushed in and stopped when they found us. Prem, lurking in a broom closet outside emerged and quickly snapped their necks.

"What now?" Nesyamun asked. Kharis composed himself.

"Nothing has changed. The bloodline lives on regardless. Although that soul would have been a nice offering to Ananka in the afterlife. We must find the son. He shall come here. Soon on account of his Father's death. We must only wait."

27 September 1982

I am not aware of when Otto first came back to Smelterville. I only know I found him first as he was stalking a group of Frankensteins. We were monitoring their activity since they arrived a few years ago, continuing to grow their numbers among the local dead. I neglected to inform Kharis but it was clear from spying Henry Frankenstein he had no idea where Schnelppvort lay. He sought to find him as much as Kharis did. I stopped Otto in the woods after he spoke to a young mortal female and a younger Frankenstein. They ran off and he was about to jump the group in a clearing wielding solely a pistol.

"This is not prudent," I informed him.

"What are you?" He stammered as I crept from the darkness.

"Among the company who seeks you, Schnelppvort, I am the best ally you will receive. I am Imhotep, Chancellor of the King of Egypt, Doctor, First in line after the King of Upper Egypt, Administrator of the Great Palace, Hereditary nobleman, High Priest of Heliopolis, Builder, Chief Carpenter, Chief Sculptor, and Maker of Vases in Chief."

"What the hell?"

"You must be more careful. These things will kill you. Our master, Kharis also wishes you dead. You are in popular company."

"The Mummy, Kharis? Why would you tell me this? Are you to kill me now?" He raised his pistol to my face.

"I cannot kill you. Only may Kharis. Only he may break his curse through your murder and the cease of your bloodline."

"Curse?"

"He failed to kill your Grandfather after he entered his tomb. The Undead are bound to their duty."

"That's not true. Kharis murdered my Grandfather."

"That doesn't make a whole lot of sense," I moved closer to him. "Henry Frankenstein killed Albert Schnelppvort. If Kharis had killed him 85 years ago we could have all gone back to rest."

He looked down at the ground as if this news truly struck him deeply. I forgot what it was like to know death. "Would you now take me to him?"

"No. This is Kharis' curse and it has gone on long enough. I believe you may play a role in ending these times and bringing us all peace. I have a place in secret come and we may-"

"Are you going to say something like 'end Lowcountry?'"

"Yeah."

"Can I say it?"

I sighed. "Fine."

"Come on then, let's end this Lowcountry!"

No comments:

Post a Comment